Something everyone fears these days is Alzheimer’s Disease. In case you’re wondering, here are the 10 warning signs of Alzheimer’s Disease:
1. Memory Loss. This is generally concerned with forgetting recently learned things, and not just phone numbers and names.
2. Difficulty performing familiar tasks. These tasks include things that most people do without even thinking about how to do them.
3. Problems with language. People with Alzheimer’s Disease may forget even simple words or substitute unusual words, thus making him or herself difficult to understand.
4. Disorientation to time or place. Patients may get lost in familiar surroundings.
5. Poor or decreased judgment. Alzheimer patients may dress without regard to the weather, give away large sums of money, or buy things they don’t need, especially when confronted by unscrupulous sales people.
6. Problems with abstract thinking. They may not remember what numbers are and how to use them.
7. Misplacing things. Not only do they get lost themselves, but those with Alzheimer’s may actually put things in very unusual places, such as placing the iron in the freezer or their wristwatch in the sugar bowl.
8. Changes in mood and behavior. This involves very rapid mood swings from one end of the scale to the other.
9. Changes in personality. The person may become someone you no longer feel you know. They may be confused, suspicious, fearful or dependent.
10. Loss of initiative. The Alzheimer’s patient may not want to do anything, may sit in front of the TV for hours or sleep more than usual.